The Pacific Northwest Booksellers Association has just announced its first-ever Book Awards short list! The titles were selected by a committee of independent booksellers from Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, and Alaska. The following twelve books were chosen from a list of more than 100 nominees, all of which were written by Northwest authors and published in 2008.
- American Buffalo: In Search of a Lost Icon, by Steven Rinella (Spiegel & Grau)
- The Art of Racing in the Rain, by Garth Stein (Harper)
- Conquistador: Hernan Cortes, King Montezuma, and the Last Stand of the Aztecs, by Buddy Levy (Bantam Books)
- The Eleventh Man, by Ivan Doig (Harcourt)
- The English Major, by Jim Harrison (Grove Press)
- Guernica: A Novel, by Dave Boling (Bloomsbury)
- The Jewel of Medina: A Novel, by Sherry Jones (Beaufort Books)
- Little Hoot, Jen Corace, illustrator (Chronicle Books)
- Selected Poems: 1970-2005, by Floyd Skloot (Tupelo Press)
- Shopping for Porcupine: A Life in Arctic Alaska, by Seth Kantner (Milkweed Editions)
- Wild Beauty: Photographs of the Columbia River Gorge, 1867-1957, by Terry Toedtemeier and John Laursen (The Northwest Photography Archive & Oregon State University Press)
- The Wink of the Zenith: The Shaping of a Writer's Life, by Floyd Skloot (University of Nebraska Press)
Congratulations to all of the nominees! The winners will be announced in January 2009 -- stay tuned to this blog for more information!